- Age: 12 - 18 months
- Time: 5-10 minutes
- Materials: 5 building blocks
Developmental BenefitFocus and Attention
- Select 5 different Maxi blocks and place them on a table or on the floor.
- Allow your child 30 seconds to memorize the blocks.
- Make them close their eyes and remove one block.
- The challenge now is for your child to recall the size and color of the missing block.
- If your child is having trouble, coach them along on the different ways to remember details and see which one works best. Do you use Acronyms like R.Y.B.G (Red, Yellow, Blue, Green) or do you repeat in your head, "Red, Yellow, Blue, Green" over and over until you get it right? Association (i.e. "Blue is 2" if two-pronged) is also good.
- As your child gets older and improves, you can increase the difficulty level gradually by removing several blocks at a time or by allowing less time for memorizing displayed blocks.
Other Activities for 12 - 18 months
Child Development by Ages
Here are some guidelines for each age group, which help you understand your child's potential. Everyone develops differently, but most children reach these milestones by a certain age. Click on the bar below to find out more about each age.
Want to raise a well-rounded child? Discover the different kinds of developmental benefits to see how you can help your child grow into an intelligent and healthy individual! Click an image to find out more!